Stornoway Running and Athletics Club
Read the latest club senior newsletter here – 2019-04 SRAC Senior Newsletter – April 2019
Provisional results from the OGM in Stornoway on Saturday 20 April 2019 – April OGM provisional results
See link below for timetable for tomorrow’s OGM.
The annual Rhenigidale hill race will be earlier this year taking place on Saturday 11th May, race organiser Stuart Simpson has confirmed. The race will start at 1pm, runners should meet to register by 12.30pm in the car park at the start of the Urgha to Rhenigidale trail. It is an out and back route to Rhenigidale along the ‘Postman’s trail’. The distance is approx 7.5 miles (12kms), and there is over 800 metres of climbing.
The start point and route – https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/outer-hebrides/urgha-rhenigidale.shtml
Cat A/Medium Hill race, so runners required to carry full body cover. Over18s only
Contact details:Stuart Simpson 07774398719/stuartsimpson06@
What a great night we had on Friday for the 2019 Macleod & Macleod Pentland Road races, the sun was shining and there was no rain and little wind speak of. Both races had filled up two weeks prior to race day and there was a brilliant turnout on the night, 75 finishers in the 10k and 36 in the 5k. The good weather made for some fast running too with PBs all over the place! In the 10k there was a great battle between the men, with a front bunch of five forming and lasting for 5kms until John Hamilton and Robbie Idle showed great strength to pull away, it was a close finish but John just edged out Robbie for the win. Murdo Alex Mackenzie was then third over the line winning the battle of the SRAC lads, first vet was Jonny Pritchard with another fine performance to finish fifth overall. In the ladies race Katie Mackinnon had a really strong run finishing in just over 40min nearly a minute ahead of Marina Murray in second, with Martha Hamilton collecting another prize for the Hamilton family in third! Rachel MacDonald has a great run to finish first female vet and fifth female overall.
The 5k saw lots of rapid times too with the junior SRAC endurance squad dominating the prizes. Sam Greenslade and David Morrison were one and two with Sam just winning in a sprint finish in 17:31, David was two seconds behind. Nine seconds later Daniel Stewart finished third, great to see the boys all pushing each other to quick times! In the girls/ladies race Rachel Murray had a stormer to finish in 19:19, which is made even more amazing by the fact she is only 14 years old! Sophie Graham and Charlie Healey also both had really strong runs finishing second and third just one place apart overall.
A huge thanks to everyone that volunteered to be marshals, time keepers and the results team on the night (the results were online before anyone had even left the golf club, great work Peter!) it was greatly appreciated. Huge thanks to Macleod & Macleod Butchers for sponsoring the race again and suppling the amazing burgers and sausages for after the race, also thanks to the Golf Club for once again hosting us!
10K female prize winners
(Marina Murray 2nd, Katie Mackinnon 1st, Martha Hamilton 3rd, Rachel MacDonald 1st F40)
10k Male prize winners
(Robbie Idle 2nd, John Hamilton 1st, Murdo Mackenzie 3rd, Jonny Pritchard 1st M40)
5k Female prize winners
(Rachel Murray 1st, Sophie Graham 2nd, Charlie Healey 3rd)
5k Male prize winners
(Sam Greenslade 1st, David Morrison 2nd, Daniel Stewart 3rd)
Here are hopefully all the details you need for race day, please read them carefully and remember the bus boarding time for your race:
– You can pick up your race number from 5pm in the main lounge of Stornoway Golf Club. Please pin the race number to your front and make sure it is visible at all times and not obscured by jackets or any other clothing while you are running, especially when approaching the finish line.
– Please don’t take your car to the Golf Club car park as parking is very limited there and we need plenty space for the buses. Please park elsewhere and walk/run to registration.
– There will be a short race briefing in the Golf Club main lounge at 5.40pm for the 10K and 6.20pm for the 5K.
– Everyone will be bused to the start of the race please don’t take your car to the start of the race. The buses for the 10K will leave the Golf Club car park at 5.50pm, and the 5k bus will leave there at 6.30pm.
– Board the bus ready to run, you can leave kit at the Golf Club, please don’t leave any kit on the buses. Also remember there will be no toilets at the start line, there are toilets in the Golf Club.
– The 10K will start at 6.15pm, the 5K will start at 6.45pm.
– After the race we will have food and drinks back in the main lounge of the Golf Club, please show your race number to claim yours. All runners are entitled to one free burger or sausage roll and one free drink from the bar – alcoholic or not!
– The prize giving will take place in the lounge as soon as everyone is finished and results have been finalised.
Please note no headphones should be worn during the race in accordance with our Scottish Athletics race licence and UK Athletics rule 240 S 5 – “The wearing of headphones, or similar devices, (other than those medically prescribed), is not permitted in races on any single carriageway road that is not wholly closed to traffic.” You need to be able to hear traffic and the instructions of the race marshals at road crossings.
All the best and see you Friday!
We have a new Wacky Races champ, Laura Maciver was today presented with the famous Wacky Racers Winter Series Shield! The series went right down to the wire in the last race with Laura just pipping Brenda to the title by 4 points, Valerie Hamilton had a great result in the final race to finish third overall. Laura, who had never run under 30 minutes in a 5k before this series, had brilliant performances throughout the winter and in the final race improved her PB to 26 mins! Well done Laura!!
Thanks to everyone that took part in the Wacky Races this past winter, 69 different folk ran in at least one race. Extra special kudos to Laura, Brenda, Karen Wight and Scott Engine Ear for running all five races! Also big thanks to Eve, Willie and Adrienne for helping us with timing.
Here are the final standings – Wacky Races 2018-19 Results, the ladies dominated this year!
Laura pictured below being presented with the Wacky Shield and special limited edition mug.
Goodbye from the Wacky Races until the next winter 🙂 Norm & Murd
Final results from the OGM in Stornoway on 23 March 2019
ogm march 2019 final results
15/02/20 – Club Ceilidh & prizegiving
22/02/20 – National XC Champs
27/02/20 – Wacky Race 5
14/03/20 – Benbecula 10k
26/03/20 – Wacky Race 6 (final)
10/04/20 – Pentland Road 5k & 10k
06/06/20 – Benbecula Half
06/06/20 – Leanne Fund (Point) 5k and 10k
13/06/20 – Skye Half
27/06/20 – Barrathon
04/07/20 – Harris Half